Monday, September 19, 2005

Movie freak!

Yes, Im crazy about movies. So sue me :P
Saw Josh Hartnett’s Wicker Park the other day.
And Im still in awe.
I love expressions, I love details, I love hidden underlying meanings.
What a wonderfully weird and beautiful movie.
Does love and obsession like that exist…

How I love movies. The right moment, the right song and all my senses come to life. The real world slips away without a moment’s notice and there I am, sitting on the floor in the airport, trying to keep from dying, knowing I really lost him… him being an unparalleled world for me, an unparalleled way of existence, everything I had always known I wanted, and everything I had never known I could want… I had lost him again. Why I lost him? I would mourn that later… just the I lost him again part had me in a cramping, sickening pit.
And then the single whisper, the slight movement, the vague feeling of him… turn around and there he is…
How wonderfully the last scene was acted out, Im still reeling from the surrealness of it. The way he sat down behind her, the way he looked at her, the way she felt his presence, the way they hugged. It was so… beautiful. Pure human emotions. Life-like.
It took my breath away.

That’s what I love about movies. If nicely made and wonderfully acted out, they take on a life of their own. Like Devdas. The new one with Shah Rukh Khan. The serenity shown in Madhuri’s character, the depth in it that one wouldnt fathom in someone of her profession otherwise. Look beyond what I do, she says quietly, see im human, I can love and bleed, too. The way she looks at him and the way she would say a single line... made me want to watch the movie again and again and again. That's what love is like i kept thinking. And Shah Rukh Khan. Where do I begin? I like him a lot, but I think he usually shows this typical way of acting… I cant explain it… the way he carries out his lines and smiles is similar in all movies except a few, Devdas being one of them. Now his acting in that was epic, monumental, excellent. I cried through out the movie. Every scene of his was brilliant, every line said with such sheer brilliance that only Shah Rukh Khan could possess. His timing perfect, his tone perfect, his gestures perfect without being too plastic. Everything in him was so human and so raw, pulsating and aching that what happened to him still has me in a very painful grip, every time I think of that movie. And the cinematography, the sets, the dresses. Oh my GOD!!! Exquisite! So rich, they speak volumes by themselves. You can actually envision the floor Madhuri dances on beneath your own feet. Beautiful in its perfection is the only thing that comes to mind when I think of this movie.

That is the **magic **of cinema for me. Good actors plus a little effort put into the rest of the works, and you will have a movie so creatively wonderful that its perfection will echo into eons.

1 comment:

Baraka said...

I haven't seen a bollywood flick in a long time--will have to look this one up!